Arrest affidavit unsealed in 12-year-old murder case

By: Leigh Ashman Email
By: Leigh Ashman Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - The arrest affidavit for a man who officials say killed his wife twelve years ago has been unsealed.

Garfield County Sheriff’s Office investigators arrested Marcus Bebb-Jones Wednesday at his home in England.

They say he murdered his wife, Sabrina, in 1997 near Douglas Pass.

The 38–page affidavit shows that since then, the case has twisted and turned, changed hands and spanned the globe.

Marcus and Sabrina owned what used to be the Melrose Hotel in Grand Junction.

According to the recently release affidavit, investigators say the couple was married for five years with a young son.

They both had quick tempers and were having problems. Sabrina mentioned wanting a divorce and was often upset about Marcus’ flirting.

In September of 1997 the two take a trip to Dinosaur, Colo. Marcus comes back that evening alone and tells staff at the hotel he and Sabrina had gotten into a fight at Mesa Mall. He said she got out of their minivan and didn’t come back.

The next day, still no sign of Sabrina, and Marcus takes that van to get washed… inside and out.

Two days later Marcus takes his three-year-old son Daniel and heads to Las Vegas to look for Sabrina.

But the next day, the staff at Marcus’ hotel files a missing persons report with the Grand Junction Police Department for Sabrina.

And Las Vegas hotel staff find young Daniel alone in a hotel room. He’s taken into custody by the state.

On Sept. 22, Grand Junction Police begin interviewing staff at the Melrose.

That same day, Marcus leaves a suicide note for Sabrina and tries unsuccessfully to kill himself twice.

A review of credit card use by Marcus shows he rented a Ferrari, bought himself new clothes and withdrew large amounts of cash.

Investigators say Marcus hired prostitutes and gambled with the cash.

When detectives try to talk to Marcus about his missing wife, he refuses and says he wants a lawyer.

During the investigation, police find her blood all over the couple’s minivan.

In March 1999 Marcus moves to England and h doesn’t contact police to see the status of the investigation into his wife’s disappearance.

Without a body or sighting of Sabrina, the investigation slows.

Then, in October of 2004, a major break. The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office gets a call about a skull found two miles from the top of Douglas Pass.

Dental records show the skull is Sabrina Bebb-Jones.

On Oct. 12 the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office and Investigator Eric Ashworth take over the case.

They return to where Sabrina’s skull was found and recover a hide-a-key case and scraps of fabric.

That, and DNA evidence, plus witness interviews are enough to finally get an arrest warrant issued, 11 years after the death of Sabrina Bebb-Jones.

Investigators have been working since that warrant was issued last year to solidify their case.

The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office tells 11 News Bebb-Jones could be sent back here for trial.

He has an extradition hearing in early December. Until then, he is being held without bond in England.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 70667322 -
Gray Television, Inc.