GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - Most of us know we should winterize our house and car, but your skin is also in need of some TLC during these cold, dry months.
A lot of women don't change their skin care regimen during the winter but to keep that youthful glow experts say you should change more than just the color of your foundation.
Susan Payne, an esthetician at Le MedSpa, says there are extra steps you should take in the winter to keep your skin healthy.
1. If you're prone to dry skin, change your face lotion to a cream.
2. Look for hydrating chemicals like hyalaronic acid and lactic acid in the ingredients.
3. Exfoliate. She says it's the best thing you can do. Like most spas, Le MedSpa offers an exfoliating treatment. Professional exfoliation can be expensive, but exfoliating at home works just as well. Payne says go with a gentle cleanser in the shower for the best results.
4. Change your face wash if your face feels dry and rough. Opt for something with more hydrating power.
5. Don't shave less in the winter. Payne says a good way to exfoliate your legs is by shaving and removing that dead skin.
6. Take cooler showers. Not only will it cut back on the heating bill, but hot water dehydrates your body and dries it out.
7. Don't lick your chapped lips. You will just dry them out more. Keep a tube of limp balm handy.
8. Apply sunscreen in the winter, too. Especially if you ski, snowboard or participate in outdoor sports.