GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - An update to a story we brought you last night on 11 News at 10 p.m.
If you smelled natural gas as you were waking up there may be an explanation.
Xcel Energy says a chemical spill is likely to blame for the smell across the Valley.
They say you’re likely not in any danger but they’re urging residents to be cautious and alert.
Xcel Energy says a small amount of Mercaptan was spilled at the border stand near 32 Road in Clifton.
Mercaptan is the sulfur scent put in natural gas to make it smell.
Because of the cold weather it’s getting trapped in the air and is lingering.
Xcel says if you smell natural gas in that area it’s likely from the spill but they don’t want you to let your guard down.
If you suspect the gas leak is in your home you leave your house and call authorities from a neighbor’s home.
The smell should clear out by the end of the day.