Victim in Montrose house fire dies

By: KKCO - Email
By: KKCO - Email

MONTROSE, Colo. (KKCO) - An elderly Montrose man injured in a house fire over the weekend has died in a Denver hospital.

Eighty-seven-year-old Richard Swyhart was flown to the University of Colorado Health Science Center in Denver after he was injured in a house fire in his Montrose home Sunday afternoon. According to the Montrose County Coroner, Dr. Thomas Canfield, Swyhart died there early Monday morning. His death has been ruled an accident.

Swyhart was badly burned in a fire when authorities say he was smoking and using oxygen at the same time at his house at 807 South 11th Street in Montrose.

His brother, Oliver, came home to find smoke coming from the home and was able to pull his brother from the blaze.

The house is considered a total loss at more than $400,000.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 81157972 - nbc11news.com/a?a=81157972
Gray Television, Inc.