Basement catches fire in 7th St. home

By: Andie Adams Email
By: Andie Adams Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) -- Residents of a 7th Street home are displaced by an early morning chimney fire.

Just before 2 a.m. Monday, the residents were woken up by a smoke detector. As they called 911, the homeowner worked to put out a fire in the chimney. He thought he had extinguished it, but when Grand Junction Fire Department crews arrived, they found a blaze in the basement.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire and checked the rest of the home.

No one was injured in the incident, but damage to the house and its contents is an estimated $35,000.

The GJFD says the fire started in the main floor's fireplace and chimney and breached through an unused fireplace, which was covered by an earlier remodel of the basement.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190695261 - nbc11news.com/a?a=190695261
Gray Television, Inc.