Basement catches fire in 7th St. home

By: Andie Adams Email
By: Andie Adams Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) -- Residents of a 7th Street home are displaced by an early morning chimney fire.

Just before 2 a.m. Monday, the residents were woken up by a smoke detector. As they called 911, the homeowner worked to put out a fire in the chimney. He thought he had extinguished it, but when Grand Junction Fire Department crews arrived, they found a blaze in the basement.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire and checked the rest of the home.

No one was injured in the incident, but damage to the house and its contents is an estimated $35,000.

The GJFD says the fire started in the main floor's fireplace and chimney and breached through an unused fireplace, which was covered by an earlier remodel of the basement.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190695261 -
Gray Television, Inc.