Cold weather causes ceiling collapse in home

By: Alicia Gentile Email
By: Alicia Gentile Email

FRUITVALE, Colo. Scary moments when part of a ceiling collapsed in a family home on Chinto Drive on Sunday night.

Around 6:24 p.m. the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to the home. Two people were inside when the ceiling collapsed in their dining room.

Luckily, no one was injured.

Fire officials say the swamp cooler was not properly winterized, which caused the waterline to freeze. The waterline started to leak in the attic and as the water filled up, it became heavy and caused a 15 square foot area of sheet rock to fall from the ceiling.

The family is displaced and staying with neighbors for the night.

Officials say this is a good reminder as temperatures remain very low, to properly winterize swamp coolers and anything else around the home that needs it.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235961741