Couple says apt. infested with bed bugs, landlord barely helps

By: Matt Vanderveer Email
By: Matt Vanderveer Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - The thought of bed bugs makes most people cringe but one couple in Grand Junction is living with these pesky insects on a daily basis.

They say the landlord has sprayed twice but hasn't done enough to actually get rid of them.

"Every time I kill them, they're full of blood,” says resident Cynthia Vick.

Cynthia Vick and her fiancé Jerry Skalla moved into the Driftwood Apartments last April.

"I don't want to have to get rid of all my stuff,” says Vick.

That's because a month after they moved in, they discovered a bed bug infestation in their apartment.

Since moving in, Vick says the landlords have sprayed twice but have not fumigated.

"Maybe it's my carpet. Maybe it's underneath the carpet,” says Vick.

The landlords refused to go on camera but in a phone conversation, the landlord told 11 News the infestation probably came from Homeward Bound Homeless Shelter; that’s where Vick and Skalla were living before they moved into Driftwood.

They also say the couple has visitors from the shelter every week that could have brought in the bed bugs.

"As far as the homeless people that come here, that's not true,” says Vick.

Regardless, Homeward Bound spokesperson Mollie Woodard says they go through a lengthy and pricey process to prevent bed bugs at their shelter.

"Everything from very expensive coverings for our mattresses, polyurethane every surface that they could nest in; use caulking as well as natural remedies,” says Woodard.

Woodard says the size of the bed bugs at Driftwood Apartments would have been feeding for months already, likely before the couple moved in.

"They would have to be months old to be deeply red, deeply visible to where you can see their legs and stuff because when they start off, they're very microscopic,” says Woodard.

After speaking with other tenants, Vick believes one thing is for sure.

"I think the building is infested,” says Vick.

Vick fears they will have to get rid of all their furniture and bedding if the bed bugs aren't destroyed.

She also fears having to return to the shelter, a decision she says will be a last resort.

• by angie on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    I moved in 3 weeks ago. I am covered in bits. I know for a fact I did any bugs in, they were here.
  • by Rachel on Nov 18, 2011 at 07:08 AM
    I used to live in the Driftwoods and had bed bugs. The landlords would only pay for 2 treatments and we still had to get rid of our furniture. They tried to tell us that we brought them in but we had not been anywhere to get bed bugs. They also tried to take us to court after we moved out but we prevailed and they ended up owing us money. Bed bugs need more than 2 treatments to get rid of! They usually need 4-6. Make the landlords pay for the whole building!
  • by mike Location: canada on Nov 16, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    See my “bed bug dog Lillie” finding bed bugs on YouTube
  • by llc Location: Grand Junction Co on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    I bought 2 large antique picture frames that were infested with the bugs..they can hide anywhere they can get into. I was lucky I found blood spots on the back of the frames before I even took them into my house.
  • by Sami Location: driftwood apt. on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    We have lived here since April and have had bed bugs all over. They have sprayed 3 times and we have bug bombed the whole place and used repellents. We haven't noticed any for a while, but we fumigate constantly. We have had to throw out our furniture and clothes and start over.
  • by anon Location: driftwood apartments on Nov 15, 2011 at 09:39 PM
    I have personally lived in the Driftwood apartments for three months and have noticed no signs of bedbugs. My roomate has also not noticed anything. However, three years ago I lived in the same building, in a different unit on a different floor and one of our mattresses did develop bed bugs, albeit after the relative who slept in them didn't wash the sheets for several weeks. We washed the sheets and cleaned the mattress ourselves and never had a problem again. I am not familiar with the other residents and have no idea how wide spread the bed bug problem may actually be in this building.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133934848 - nbc11news.com/a?a=133934848