GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) -- The grandparents of William and Tyler Jensen said they are outraged to find out about their grandsons' autopsy results from media reports and were never notified by authorities.
"I was totally disgusted about the way we found out about it," said Robert Mathena, the boys' step-grandfather. "You'd think they'd have the decency to tell us so we don't have to find out over the news media."
Mesa County Coroner's Office released the cause of death as hyperthermia and ruled the manner of death as accidental.
Robert and Diane Mathena said they were shocked to hear the news of their grandsons dying from hyperthermia, and even more shocked to learn their deaths were ruled accidental.
"You leave two kids in a car with the heater on and they die-- it's the same thing as leaving them in the car in the summertime," he said. "It's still child abuse, and it's not an accident."
Since the incident happened six weeks ago, on November 27th, every day has been a nightmare for the Mathenas.
"God, we need help and we need justice," Robert said. "It's been 42 days, and it's been hard on the whole family. Everybody is in turmoil."
Robert said the ruling of the boys' death as accidental furthers the neglect they've been given throughout their lives, and now after their lives have ended.
"[Their mother] abused these kids, and she's neglected these kids," he said. "Even into their death they've been neglected. Six weeks and they're still being neglected."
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus