Fire crews recommend chimney cleaning after two fires

By: KKCO 11 News Email
By: KKCO 11 News Email

Pull out those chimney brooms. Firefighters are warning residents to clean up their chimneys before a fire can ignite. The message comes after two chimney fires this weekend.

The first occurred at the Paradise Valley Mobile Home Park office around 10 p.m. Saturday night. Nineteen firefighting crew members were on scene to fight the flames that broke out around the chimney area.

No one was injured in the fire, and the exact cause is still under investigation at this time.

The second fire flared up at a home located at 176 Little Park Drive. Seven units attended to the fire around 8:30 Sunday morning. The first unit on scene was able to deploy a hose, clear the smoke and cool the high temperatures around the fireplace area.

Two people were in the home when the fire ignited, but they were able to escape with pets in tow and no injuries.

The fire and damage were considered moderate and were contained to the fireplace area and ceiling above.

The GJFD says it sees an increase in the fireplace/chimney fires. It says it’s important to maintain and clean chimneys to prevent fuel buildup that could spread the fire.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174133351 - nbc11news.com/a?a=174133351
Gray Television, Inc.