Fire crews recommend chimney cleaning after two fires

By: KKCO 11 News Email
By: KKCO 11 News Email

Pull out those chimney brooms. Firefighters are warning residents to clean up their chimneys before a fire can ignite. The message comes after two chimney fires this weekend.

The first occurred at the Paradise Valley Mobile Home Park office around 10 p.m. Saturday night. Nineteen firefighting crew members were on scene to fight the flames that broke out around the chimney area.

No one was injured in the fire, and the exact cause is still under investigation at this time.

The second fire flared up at a home located at 176 Little Park Drive. Seven units attended to the fire around 8:30 Sunday morning. The first unit on scene was able to deploy a hose, clear the smoke and cool the high temperatures around the fireplace area.

Two people were in the home when the fire ignited, but they were able to escape with pets in tow and no injuries.

The fire and damage were considered moderate and were contained to the fireplace area and ceiling above.

The GJFD says it sees an increase in the fireplace/chimney fires. It says it’s important to maintain and clean chimneys to prevent fuel buildup that could spread the fire.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174133351