Fire sparks near fireplace, threatens house

By: KKCO Email
By: KKCO Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) – A fire spread outside its fireplace, threatening the home it's in.

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at 176 Little Park Drive around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The first unit on scene found light smoke in the home and high temperatures around the fireplace area.

Firefighters cooled down the fireplace and ceiling with water and found that the fire had not spread beyond the chimney area.

Two people and two dogs were inside the house at the time of the fire. They were all able to evacuate without any injuries.

The house was moderately damaged, and firefighters are still investigated the fire because it started behind the fireplace, says Grand Junction Fire.

At this time of year, the GJFD sees more fireplace and chimney fires. Firefighters urge you to maintain, clean and repair your fireplace and chimney to prevent fuel buildup, which can catch fire and spread.

The National Fire Protection Association Standard 211 recommends that chimneys. fireplaces and vents should be inspected at least once a year for damage and deposits.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 14, 2012 at 01:03 PM
    Possibly the reporter is not from this country as the term "removes fire" is not something used in this country. "There were two people and two dogs at the time of the fire". I can only guess this means they where in the residence at the time of the fire? Unless a new road was built recently it is called Little Park Road.
  • by Szabla Location: Location on Oct 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    "GJFD removes fire on Little Park Drive" Who writes like this? You remove your hat, you remove a tumor, “You extinguish a fire”.
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174100651 - nbc11news.com/a?a=174100651
Gray Television, Inc.