EAGLE, Colo. – Greater Eagle Fire Protection District responded to a natural gas odor 8-31-13 at approximately 11:00 am. Fire crews were able to narrow the location down to the ally behind Wall & Washington between Third and Fourth Street in the Town of Eagle.
Source Gas was also contacted and responded to the area. Upon further investigation with gas monitors an area in the alley was identified with high flammable gas readings. Additional units from Greater Eagle Fire, Eagle Police Department, Eagle County Sheriff’s Office, Town of Eagle Public Works, Gypsum Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedic Service, and Source Gas were requested. These additional units help with evacuating & isolating the homes & residents between 3rd & 4th and Wall & Washington, provided fire protection, traffic control, and rehab to emergency responders.
Source Gas’s investigation found high levels of a gas only in the alley’s roadway. An area in the alley was identified with the heaviest concentrates. This area was uncovered down to the gas line. There was no indication of a gas leak. No houses in the area reported a gas odor. Firefighter and Source Gas checked homes in the area with no indication of a gas. Additional test holes were made in the back yards of several houses that backed up to the Alley. These showed no indication of gas.
With the information that it was isolated to the alley way and the high levels of gas had dropped and appeared to be dissipating, Source Gas felt none of the houses or people in this area were in immediate danger. Residents were allowed back into their homes and that part of the alley was blocked off.
Source Gas is continuing to monitor and will re-evaluate what actions that will be needed next Tuesday. A portion of the alley will remained closed until Source Gas re-evaluates the conditions and resolves the issue.
For additional information or questions call Source Gas (Natalie Shelbourn) at 970-250-0370 or Greater Eagle Fire at 970-328-7244. If you have any concerns or smell natural gas, call 911 immediately.