Man sues Sheridan Walmart for wrongful death

By: News Desk Email
By: News Desk Email

SHERIDAN, Wyo. (AP) -- A man who says his wife died after she ate a contaminated cantaloupe purchased at a Sheridan Walmart is suing the retailer.

The Sheridan Press reports Frederick M. Lollar filed the wrongful death lawsuit in Laramie County's 1st Judicial District Court. He says he bought the cantaloupe around Sept. 1, 2011, ate about a quarter of it, and his wife, Jaqueline Lollar, ate the rest.

The Food and Drug Administration later identified the lot the Colorado cantaloupe came from to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Lollar's lawsuit says Walmart removed the cantaloupes, but didn't post public notice regarding potential customer exposure.

Jaqueline Lollar died at a hospital Sept. 19, 2011, and post-mortem blood tests confirmed the presence of the bacteria.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove declined to comment about the lawsuit.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 217330981