GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - Tense moments at a group home Monday afternoon as a fire breaks out.
Grand Junction Fire Department crews responded to the STRIVE group home on Elm St. around 4:45 p.m. on reports of a grease fire in the kitchen.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock the blaze down, and say everyone evacuated before they arrived. Officials are praising the previous fire drills as well as fire alarms and sprinkler systems in place at the home, saying injuries and more damage were avoided as a result.
Five residents and three staff members were present in the home at the time of the fire. Damage to the home and contents is estimated to be about $8,000.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.