Grand Junction, Colo. (KKCO) – Tuesday’s gas leak and explosion has displaced several residents from their homes, but some felt the effects of what happened more than others.
Corey Wright was sitting in his home Tuesday afternoon when he heard a booming noise come from the house next door "out of nowhere there was a huge explosion like you wouldn't believe," says Wright. He says the windows in his house blew in. Wright’s first instinct was to make sure everyone in his house was ok.
Wright and five other people were inside the home and went outside to see their next-door neighbor's home had collapsed. When he saw his neighbors he quickly dialed 9-1-1. "I see the two guys that were in the house at the time both completely burned from head to toe," describes Wright. He couldn't worry about his own home because he needed to immediately turn his attention to his suffering neighbors. Making sure they got the medical help they needed, Wright says he was "screaming for an ambulance like hey can we get these guys some help I don't know what’s going on."
In the midst of the confusion, Wright looked up to see his home burst into flames. It didn't take long for him to realize all of his and his roommates' possessions and valuables were destroyed. "I’m a musician and had thousands of dollars of musical equipment," says Wright, but Wright says it's not his things that matter. "Seeing everything up in flames was both awful and really restorative because it was like it's just possessions there’s so many more important things. Honestly life will go on. It's, I mean, at the core of it, it's just a restart."
The Red Cross Western Colorado chapter is pitching in to help evacuated residents.
If you need to get in touch with the Red Cross, their local number is 242-4851.