Steamboat Springs teen saves two in house fire

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Authorities are praising a 14-year-old boy for saving his mother and another resident from a house fire in Steamboat Springs.

The Steamboat Pilot & Today (http://bit.ly/OvX5gh ) reports firefighters were called to the fire at about 7 a.m. Saturday.

Chief Mel Stewart says the boy was awakened by a smoke alarm and found flames in a hallway in the basement apartment. The teen's mother was asleep in her room, but the fire made it impossible for him to get directly to her.

Stewart says the boy went outside, banged on the bedroom window to wake up his mother and then helped her out through the window.

The tenant upstairs also was alerted and got out of the house, which suffered moderate damage.

Stewart says he gives the boy "a lot of credit."


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 171960541 - nbc11news.com/a?a=171960541
Gray Television, Inc.