STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Authorities are praising a 14-year-old boy for saving his mother and another resident from a house fire in Steamboat Springs.
The Steamboat Pilot & Today (http://bit.ly/OvX5gh ) reports firefighters were called to the fire at about 7 a.m. Saturday.
Chief Mel Stewart says the boy was awakened by a smoke alarm and found flames in a hallway in the basement apartment. The teen's mother was asleep in her room, but the fire made it impossible for him to get directly to her.
Stewart says the boy went outside, banged on the bedroom window to wake up his mother and then helped her out through the window.
The tenant upstairs also was alerted and got out of the house, which suffered moderate damage.
Stewart says he gives the boy "a lot of credit."
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.