Storage lot fire caused by portable heater

By: KKCO 11 News Email
By: KKCO 11 News Email

Authorities are reminding residents about space heater safety after a morning fire destroys a storage unit.

Fire crews were dispatched to a storage lot at 378 27 1/2 Road around 4:50 a.m. Sunday morning.

The fire department says a man was working in one of the storage units and was using a propane space heater to stay warm. The heater was too close to some combustibles, and ended up starting a fire throughout the shed.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames just to the one unit, but it was a complete loss.

Fortunately no one was injured during the accident, but authorities remind all trying to keep warm this winter to make sure their heaters are in safe locations.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187696901 -
Gray Television, Inc.