Passports and Child Support: Hand N Hand

By: Lindsay Housaman Email
By: Lindsay Housaman Email

Child support offices have been working with the government for some time now, but it wasn't until recently that child support collections started to rise.

The new passport laws make it a necessity to have a passport to travel by air in and out of the United States. So this is how the passport links to child support.

It use to be if you owed $5,000.00 you were denied a passport. Now it's only $2,500.00.

Officials believe that tighter travels laws will create more child support payments for those who want to take a trip out of the country.

When January 2008 rolls around and the passport law will not only include air travel, but travel by land and sea; child support collections are expected to be more successful.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Heather Location: Delta, Co. on Oct 3, 2007 at 06:55 AM
    I think this is a good idea, my daughter's father owes well over $2,500.00.
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 10191366 -
Gray Television, Inc.