Family Escapes Fire

By: KKCo Email
By: KKCo Email

A mother and her five children are able to escape a fire that destroyed the family's home.

The fire broke out just before 9:30am this morning. Firefighters say the fire started on a stove in the kitchen. Smoke and flames were coming from the home when firefighters arrived.

They put out the fire and any hotspots and cleared some of the charred debris out of the house. A neighbor living next door said he smelled the smoke and was worried the fire might jump to his house.

The fire flared up again this afternoon just after 1:30. Neighbors called the fire department after seeing smoke coming from a door jam.

The Red Cross is helping the family who was renting the home and the family is now staying with neighbors.

Fire investigators estimate the damage at $105 thousand.


KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 16228102 - nbc11news.com/a?a=16228102
Gray Television, Inc.