Couple Pushes to Make Carbon Monoxide Detectors Mandatory

By: KKCO Email
By: KKCO Email

In January, Heather and Kirby Simeons lost their 17 month old son, Truett Simeons, and their father, Julian Beamer, to carbon monoxide poisoning. They say a simple detector may have saved their lives.

They're taking their story to local lawmakers to get a new bill signed into law.

Senate bill 187 would require all single and multi–family dwellings sold after July first and any building permit issued after that date to be equipped with the detectors if there is a fuel–burning heater, fireplace or attached garage.

Critics say this is another case of "nanny government" and it should be up to the public to buy these alarms.


KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 16615231 - nbc11news.com/a?a=16615231
Gray Television, Inc.