Montrose County Coroner Identifies Man Who Died From Flesh-eating Disease

The Montrose County Coroner's Office released the name of the Montrose man who died of Flesh-eating Disease earlier this week. Mario Peiro Diaz, 48, died at Montrose Memorial Hospital from a systematic infection of streptococcal bacteria, or Flesh-eating Disease. He had gone to a doctor on Monday. He died Tuesday.

Officials say it is important for the public to understand that this disease is extremely rare and it is not contagious. It starts with the same bacteria found in strep throat. That bacteria can occasionally get into the blood stream and cause Flesh-Eating disease. Death can occur within hours.

FOR MORE ON FLESH-EATING DISEASE

© KKCO NBC 11 News - All Rights Reserved


KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2031852 - nbc11news.com/a?a=2031852
Gray Television, Inc.