Disposed Ashes Cause House Fire

Fire breaks out at a home in Fruitvale Sunday severely damaging the home's garage and two vehicles inside. The Clifton Fire Department responded to the home off of 31 Road around 6 P.M. When units arrived at 3094 Cedar Drive the garage was fully engulfed. No one was inside the home when the smoldering ashes from a fireplace thrown out in the garage earlier in the day began to burn out of control. With more than a dozen firefighters on scene, the fire was under control in about 15 minutes. While the blaze destroyed everything including two vehicles in the garage and caused extensive smoke damage inside the home, firefighters say it's a good reminder for residents to take caution when handling fireplace ashes. No injuries were reported and the cold weather had no ill effects on firefighting equipment.
© KKCO NBC 11 News - All Rights Reserved


KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2059431 - nbc11news.com/a?a=2059431