Explosion Wracks Grand Junction House

A Grand Junction neighborhood is shaken today as a home explodes and burns.

Investigators say a motorcycle was leaking gas inside the garage. The gas was ignited by the pilot light of a water heater or a furnace, causing the explosion.

One neighbor ran to the house, and with help from another man crawled into the burning home to see if anyone was home. After finding both of the duplexes empty he used two fire extiguishers to try to put out the fire. Fueled by the gasoline he says the fire was too intense to put out.

It took the Grand Junction Fire Department about 15 minutes to control the fire, which caused an estimated 100–thousand dollars in damage.
The occupants-a young couple and a woman-were not at home at the time. The American Red Cross is stepping in to help them out.

KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 3423856 - nbc11news.com/a?a=3423856
Gray Television, Inc.