Bob Reeves was taking a shower when his Fruitvale home was rocked by an explosion this morning. Looking out his window he saw what he thought was an airplane part laying in his yard.
But it wasn't from an airplane, it was the top lid that had flown nearly 200 yards from a water truck that exploded as workers in the normally quiet neighborhood tried to thaw valves using a propane torch.
The truck carries waste-water from oil fields, but that water also contains benzene a flammable substance.
A rear hatch cover also blew off the truck. That lid flew completely through a nearby garage. The windshield of a Laidlaw Transportation school bus was shattered by bolts blown off the rear hatch, and windows on a camping trailer were also broken.
The operator of the truck and his wife were both injured and taken to a local hospital. Their injuries did not appear to be life threatening, however their conditions have not yet been released.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.