McKINNEY, Texas (AP) -- Six children in Texas have been injured by an explosion that happened after gas was poured from a can onto an open fire pit.
Four children have been airlifted to an area hospital after the Monday afternoon explosion in McKinney, north of Dallas. McKinney fire department spokeswoman Stacie Durham says the six children are believed to have been left unsupervised in the backyard, where a fire was burning. Adults were inside the home.
Durham says at least one of the children sprinkled gasoline from a can onto the fire and left the can near the pit. She says fumes from the can ignited.
All six children were near the can when it exploded.
The children range from ages 4 to 11.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.