Mount laurel, N.J. (AP) Six men described as ``Islamic radicals'' are accused in a plot to attack a U.S. Army base in New Jersey.
Federal authorities say the suspects are being held on charges of targeting Fort Dix Army base. A prosecutor's spokesman says they aimed to ``kill as many soldiers as possible.'' The six men are from the former Yugoslavia, but have lived in the U.S. for some time.
White House Spokesman Tony Snow says there is ``no direct evidence'' that the men arrested have ties to international terrorism. Snow says none of the six men has been charged with being a member of an international terrorism organization.
A law enforcement official says the men were arrested Monday trying to buy automatic weapons. The sale was set up by authorities who had been investigating the men for about a year.
Officials believe the men trained for the attack in the Poconos in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The group also allegedly conducted surveillance at other area military institutions, including Fort Monmouth in New Jersey.
Fort Dix is an Army training post. It was also where thousands of ethnic Albanian refugees were sheltered during the NATO bombing campaign against Yugoslavia.
Officials say four of the men were born in the former Yugoslavia, one in Jordan and one in Turkey
The suspects are scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Camden, New Jersey, late Tuesday.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus