Discarded Cigarette Starts Fire

By: Amanda Wagner Email
By: Amanda Wagner Email

We now know what started the fire Wednesday night in Grand Junction that destroyed three sheds and threatened homes.

According to Mike Page with the Grand Junction Fire Department a gentleman has admitted to smoking a cigarette in the area. Investigators say that discarded cigarette sparked the blaze. Damage to the property in the area is estimated at $10,000. Officials don't know if the man who started the fire will face criminal charges.

Four acres burned in the fire that started just before 9 p.m. in the area of First Street and Patterson Road. Four stations and about twenty firefighters were on scene.

During that call, two other fires were reported in Grand Junction, but since four engines were already on the scene of the fire near 1st Street, the Fruita and Orchard Mesa Fire Departments assisted with the other fires.

In all, the department went out on eighteen calls Wednesday night, four of which were related to fireworks.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8334897 - nbc11news.com/a?a=8334897
Gray Television, Inc.