Officials believe a cigarette butt thrown from a car may have ignited a fire at the Mesa County Landfill.
The fire broke out just before eleven o'clock Tuesday morning in Orchard Mesa. Flames scorched about an acre of the landfill and it's believed the fire started from a lit cigarette that was tossed from a car window.
It is illegal to throw cigarettes from cars and whoever may have started the fire could face charges and fines. Firefighters say it's also important to remember that dry conditions make actions like this extremely dangerous.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.