One Hospitalized, Elementary School Closed After Standoff

By: Jessica Zartler Email
By: Jessica Zartler Email

An elementary school is closed and a man is in the hospital after a standoff situation in Grand Junction.

Neighbors got a rude awakening this morning after a reverse 9–1–1 call to tell them their neighbor was in a standoff with police.

The suspect in the standoff, who's name is not being released, was taken to St. Mary's hospital. Police have not released information about his condition.

Emergency crews wheeled the unconscious suspect out on a stretcher after he was pulled out of the home on North 19th street.

The standoff began just before 11:30pm last night.

Police responded to a call of shots fired and when they tried to contact the man inside they say he wouldn't cooperate.

One hour later officers called in the S.W.A.T. team.

After the S.W.A.T. team tried multiple times to call the man on the house phone and his cell phone officers say they fired multiple rounds of tear gas into the home.

A neighbor who lived across the street says he waited with his wife and four kids in their basement until it was over.

The standoff lasted nearly eight hours.

It's unclear how many people were in the home when police got the call
but investigators say there was never a hostage situation.

The people who lived at the house with the suspect are without a place to stay this afternoon.

Investigators say the inside of the home was severely damaged from tear gas.

Victim's Assistance will be helping them with living arrangements.

Police set up a command post at Orchard Avenue Elementary School in the early hours this morning.

School officials and police decided to close orchard avenue for safety reasons.

The spokesman for District 51 schools says Orchard Avenue Elementary will reopen tomorrow. There will not be a make up day for today.

Police say charges against the man are pending a full investigation.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Reporter Jessica Zartler Location: 11 News on Sep 10, 2007 at 01:21 PM
    Thank you for your comments... I am working on an update to the story
  • by Diane Location: Nebraska on Sep 6, 2007 at 11:55 AM
    What has happended to the living situation for the other members of the house. And is the County going to fix the home, sounded like alot of Damage was done.
  • by Diane Location: Nebraska on Sep 5, 2007 at 04:34 PM
    Paper reports that he was on Medication for MS, this is still no excuse for what this Individual put the members of the house through. This may a cry for help, but I hope there will be some type of punishment for his actions.
  • by Sharon Cook Location: North 21st Street on Sep 5, 2007 at 12:36 PM
    As a concerned parent, I am wondering why we were not informed earlier than 6:00 AM that there was a problem in our immediate area? I have 2 middle schoolers, along with 1 that attends Orchard Avenue. Due to our living within the "2 mile" radius of East Middle School, my children would have had to walk right through the area that was blocked off, and would have been possibly endangered. Fortunately, I heard the announcement on the radio and drove my children to school. I am just wondering why their safety was never considered? We live a short block away from Orchard Avenue Elementary.
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 9585797 -
Gray Television, Inc.