Report: 3 captive Ohio women were raped, starved

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email
A police report says three Cleveland women held in captivity inside a home for about a decade were threatened, starved and raped.

Ariel Castro

UPDATE 3:09 p.m.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A police report says three Cleveland women held in captivity inside a home for about a decade were threatened, starved and raped. It also says one of them had five pregnancies aborted by the suspect, who punched her in the stomach until she miscarried.

The report obtained Thursday by The Associated Press paints a grim picture of the women's decade-long ordeal. They were rescued this week when one of them kicked out a door.

Amanda Berry told officers that she delivered a baby in a child's plastic pool while in captivity.

Michelle Knight, now 32, told them she suffered at least five miscarriages at the hands of Ariel Castro and said she delivered Berry's baby under threat of death if the baby died.

Castro has been charged with rape and kidnapping.

UPDATE 12:54 p.m.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Cleveland police say the two brothers of the man accused of keeping women captive in his house have been released from custody.

Police announced on Thursday afternoon that 54-year-old Pedro Castro and 50-year-old Onil Castro had been released from jail. Police didn't release any more information, and the men's whereabouts were not immediately known.

They were arrested Monday with 52-year-old Ariel Castro, who is being held on $8 million bond on charges rape and the kidnappings of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, as well as Berry's child born in captivity. The brothers were not charged in that case.

Pedro Castro pleaded no contest to an unrelated open-container charge in court Monday. Two unrelated misdemeanor charges against Onil Castro were dropped.

Original Story

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A Cleveland man has been arraigned on charges of rape and kidnapping days after three women missing for about a decade were found alive at his home.

Ariel Castro appeared in court Thursday morning. He looked down at the ground while lawyers spoke to the judge. Bond was set at $2 million on each case.

Police say they've talked with both Castro, who is a former school bus driver, and the three women at length in building their case.

While they're not revealing many details, police do say the women were kept inside Castro's house for all but a few brief minutes over the last 10 years.

The three women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004 and were found Monday after one of them screamed for help to escape and contacted police.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 206745701 - nbc11news.com/a?a=206745701