GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - District 51 officials tell KKCO 11 News Tope Elementary School is being evacuated again. The District 51 Facebook page says the students are being taken to West Middle School.
The students and staff were evacuated and students were loaded onto buses for the second time this week. The school is part of the area affected by a natural gas leak and explosion Tuesday.
From the officials at the scene, "Tope Elementary has been evacuated out of an abundance of caution after a natural gas smell coming from one of the manholes at the school. All students have been bused to West Middle School. Parents need to go to West MS to pick up their students."
Parents are asked to arrive after 10 a.m. to pick up their children.
Less than an hour after the precautionary evacuation was carried out, the scene at Tope Elementary was cleared. The area was determined to be safe.
Officials say a heightened awareness in the are has prompted numerous people to call about the smell of natural gas, they say you should call 911 immediately if you smell what you believe is natural gas.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus