GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - The Grand Junction Fire Department says it's concerned that a common fire alarm system in the Racquet Club Apartments wasn't working when a fire ripped through a center complex.
Officials say the individual battery operated smoke detector worked in the unit where the fire started, but the alarms in the hallways didn't go off to alert other residents.
The fire department says Racquet Club management told them that the batteries were dead and have since been replaced.
The fire broke out around 3:30 p.m. Monday and caused $275,000 in damage. A passerby reported the fire after seeing flames shoot from the roof.
The entire H Building was evacuated and third floor residents still haven't been allowed to return home.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
No one was injured in the blaze.