Four displaced by carbon monoxide leak

By: Andie Adams Email
By: Andie Adams Email

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) – One Grand Junction man gets a toxic scare as he gets up Friday morning.

“I woke up, and my alarm started going off from my carbon monoxide detector,” said Jordan Dellenbach, who lives in the Fairmount Village Condominiums at 1212 Walnut Avenue.

He first thought it was just a problem with the batteries, but he called his property manager just to be safe. Two hours later at 12:30 p.m., Grand Junction Fire Department crews arrived on scene.

Battalion Chief John Williams says firefighters discovered a problem with the water heater ventilation, which was leaking toxic carbon monoxide into the apartments.

“There was some in mine, the people below me, and the highest reading was like at 60 and that was my neighbors to the right, but they’re not here right now,” said Dellenbach.

Four people, including Dellenbach, were temporarily displaced from their two apartments. He says the Red Cross is helping him with a stay at the Mesa Inn tonight, but he expects to be back home tomorrow.

Williams says fixing the problem will be left to the property manager. He was not aware of anyone being seriously sickened by the fumes.

Dellenbach says looking back, he noticed some symptoms, “It just makes you kind of nauseous a little bit, and light-headed.”


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185703162