GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) – A fire spread outside its fireplace, threatening the home it's in.
The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at 176 Little Park Drive around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The first unit on scene found light smoke in the home and high temperatures around the fireplace area.
Firefighters cooled down the fireplace and ceiling with water and found that the fire had not spread beyond the chimney area.
Two people and two dogs were inside the house at the time of the fire. They were all able to evacuate without any injuries.
The house was moderately damaged, and firefighters are still investigated the fire because it started behind the fireplace, says Grand Junction Fire.
At this time of year, the GJFD sees more fireplace and chimney fires. Firefighters urge you to maintain, clean and repair your fireplace and chimney to prevent fuel buildup, which can catch fire and spread.
The National Fire Protection Association Standard 211 recommends that chimneys. fireplaces and vents should be inspected at least once a year for damage and deposits.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus