Improperly vented furnace led to man's death

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Investigators say an old and improperly vented furnace pumped carbon monoxide through a Colorado Springs apartment complex and led to the death of a 50-year-old man.

The Gazette says Colorado Springs Utilities and the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department have determined that resident Benedo Valdez died after the furnace pumped the deadly gas into the Vista Peak Apartments on Oct. 7.

Police were called after several people reported feeling sick with symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. The carbon monoxide alarms in several apartments also were going off.

The 32-building complex has been cited 14 times in the last five years by Colorado Springs Utilities for having dangerous appliances that were required to be shut off until they were fixed.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 177164531 - nbc11news.com/a?a=177164531
Gray Television, Inc.