DURANGO, Colo. (AP) -- Authorities say 31 students were taken to a hospital after suffering from headaches or nausea caused by a noxious odor emanating from beneath a middle school science classroom in southwestern Colorado.
The Durango Herald reports a bus transported 11 students to the hospital, and seven ambulances took the remaining 20 students after the gas leak at Ignacio Junior High School was reported at about 11:30 a.m. Monday.
The students' conditions were not immediately known.
A tank under the classroom that collected sediment from a floor drain and from the drains of several sinks in the room was plugged, causing the smell.
Authorities were uncertain about the mixture of the gas, but no explosive readings were detected.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus