Car Seat Check List:
- Right Seat: Check the label on the car seat to make sure it's appropriate for your child's age, weight and height.
- Right Place: Keep kids in the back seat until they are 13-years-old.
- Right Direction: Your child should be in a rear facing car seat until they are two-years-old and when they outgrow that then they can move to a forward facing seat.
- Inch Test: Once you install the car seat, shake it to see if it moves one inch from side to side and front to back. If it does, you need to tighten it.
- Pinch Test: Pinch the strap at your child's shoulder and if you are unable to pinch excess then you are ready to ride.
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) A new report out from Safe Kids Worldwide found that 1/5 of parents do not strap their kids in when they are going for a short drive.
Those parents should think again as 60-percent of car accidents happen within 10 minutes of home.
Buckling your child in to the proper car seat will help keep them safe.
The Mesa County Health Department offers car seat fitting classes to help parents know how to properly install their kids seat.