Permits required to sell pets in front of businesses

By: Sara Zendehnam Email
By: Sara Zendehnam Email

MESA COUNTY, Colo. If you're thinking about buying a furry friend in front of Wal-Mart, Lowes or other businesses around town it's important to make sure the seller has a proper permit.

Mesa County Animal Services is cracking down on people who are selling, trading or giving away pets on business property without a Public Pet Rehoming Permit. The ordinance went into effect last year and officials are taking it seriously.

"We've actually been very vigilant with it we've had a lot of calls from citizens regarding it i think last year we issued 13 citations," Officer Justin Manly, Mesa County Animal Services.

The goal of the permit is to make sure the animals are healthy and age appropriate to be sold.

The process is simple, you need a certificate from a vet saying the pets are in good shape and a letter from the business giving permission to set up there.

Applications are reviewed and usually permits are given out within five days.

KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 252497301 -
Gray Television, Inc.