Radon in your home could be deadly

By: Andrew Reid Email
By: Andrew Reid Email

Grand Junction, Colo. (KKCO) - You can't smell or taste it but radon in your home could kill you. This is National Radon Awareness Week and it is important to pay attention to it.
This time of year is an especially critical time to pay attention to radon levels in the house since people are beginning to close their windows and using your furnace more instead of the swamp cooler or air conditioner. Radon is rated on a 1 through 3 rating level with 3 being the highest for potential for radon. Grand Junction and many parts of Colorado have been given a level 3 rating.

There is no way to know if radon is in your home unless you test for it. It is recommended that you test for radon levels at least once every two to three years.

"We all think it's not there, but it really is there you need to test for it. It's one of those things that can kill you and it doesn't take much to mitigate a house. In the big picture of things, of all the remodeling that you can do in a home, radon is one of the more affordable things,” says Ted Munkres, president of Foundation Repair of Western Colorado.

If your test comes back positive for radon gas it is recommended that you seek out a qualified company that can mitigate your home. Radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer next to smoking.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174696811 - nbc11news.com/a?a=174696811
Gray Television, Inc.