Storage lot fire caused by portable heater

By: KKCO 11 News Email
By: KKCO 11 News Email

Authorities are reminding residents about space heater safety after a morning fire destroys a storage unit.

Fire crews were dispatched to a storage lot at 378 27 1/2 Road around 4:50 a.m. Sunday morning.

The fire department says a man was working in one of the storage units and was using a propane space heater to stay warm. The heater was too close to some combustibles, and ended up starting a fire throughout the shed.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames just to the one unit, but it was a complete loss.

Fortunately no one was injured during the accident, but authorities remind all trying to keep warm this winter to make sure their heaters are in safe locations.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187696901 - nbc11news.com/a?a=187696901