Colorado boy expected to accept deal in shooting

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Burlington, Colo. (AP) -- A 13-year-old Colorado boy accused of
killing his parents and wounding two younger siblings is expected
to accept a plea that has angered some family members. The boy is appearing before a judge in Burlington Wednesday. He is accused of shooting and killing his parents, Marilyn and Charles Long, wounding a younger brother and assaulting a younger sister with a knife in March. Under the deal announced last month, he would plead guilty to
murder charges as a juvenile to avoid being tried as an adult. He
would face seven years in juvenile prison but the sentence could be
extended by two years if the judge approves. District Attorney Bob Watson said Colorado law forces him to choose between what he says is an unnecessary light juvenile sentence and an unnecessarily harsh lifetime sentence.

• by BA Location: Grand Junction on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    This is such a sad story. When I saw this, I wondered if there had been any warning signs. Is it possible that this child might have schizophrenia? I have heard about this in some other cases. I think it usually presents around puberty. My prayers go out to the surviving family members.
  • by Local on Sep 28, 2011 at 02:30 PM
    I say lock the little sob up for life
  • by Angela on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    I agree with you Brian. When he gets out heaven only knows what this maniac is gonna do! How can u kill your parents and attempt to kill ur siblings and get 7 years? Bunch of bs!
  • by Angela on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM
  • by Angela on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM
  • by Angela on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM
  • by Brian Location: GJ3 on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    "...unnecessarily harsh life sentence..." how is that when you kill your parents and try and kill your siblings? This DA is way out there, obviously very liberal with criminals, probably feels criminals are not to blame for their actions. I say lock the little killer/murderer up for life....
      by Shelby on Sep 28, 2011 at 02:33 PM in reply to Brian
      Unfortunately Brian, they run the risk of "jury nullification", if they were to bring him to trial as an adult. All a good defense lawyer would have to do is start suggesting that he was horrifically abused, and killing them was his only way out. I'm am *not* saying it happened (nor do I agree that it can be used, without proof), only that a good defense lawyer would bring that up (along with any other little things that could be considered mitigating). It is awful that he might only do 7 years (with a maximum of 9), but better that than nothing.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130719308 - nbc11news.com/a?a=130719308