Protesters react to the verdict in the Sean Bell case outside of the Queens County Criminal Courts Building, Friday, April 25, 2008, in the Queens borough of New York. Three detectives were acquitted of all charges Friday in the 50-shot killing of an unarmed Sean Bell, a groom-to-be on his wedding day, a case that put the NYPD at the center of another dispute involving allegations of excessive firepower. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow)
New York (AP) New York Governor David Paterson says he was “surprised” by last week's acquittal of three police officers in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man on his wedding day.
A judge cleared the undercover detectives in the 2006 shooting near a Queens strip club, where Sean Bell had just left his bachelor party.
Paterson says he was surprised “to a certain degree” in part because 50 shots were fired.
Meanwhile, Michigan Congressman John Conyers and other lawmakers
met Monday with bell's family, civil rights advocates, and the two survivors.
The group discussed the U.S. Department of Justice Investigation into the shooting. Civil rights advocates and others are demanding federal charges be brought against the three officers.