NH expands testing in hepatitis C outbreak case

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- New Hampshire health officials are casting a wider net as they look for people who may have contracted hepatitis C from a traveling medical technician.

Public health director Dr. Jose Montero said Tuesday that testing is being recommended for anyone who had surgery at Exeter Hospital or was admitted to the intensive care unit between April 1, 2011, and May 25, 2012. He says the testing is being expanded because the person believed to be responsible for the outbreak had access to those areas.

Officials previously had asked anyone treated at the hospital's cardiac catheterization lab since October 2010 to get tested.

David Kwiatkowski was charged last week with federal drug crimes. Authorities say he's worked in at least six states.

Thirty people are believed to have contracted the illness from Kwiatkowski.

(COPYRIGHT 2011 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 163565166 - nbc11news.com/a?a=163565166