Bill to drug test Colo. welfare recipients fails

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

DENVER (AP) -- A measure to require welfare applicants to take a drug test before receiving benefits failed in a surprising vote in the Republican-controlled Colorado House.

The Republican bill failed Thursday during a preliminary "voice vote" where legislators yell yes or no while voting on a bill. It can be subjective because the ruling party usually says a vote passed regardless of who screamed loudest.

The proposal would've required welfare applicants to pay for and pass a drug test before receiving assistance. Those who passed would be reimbursed for the test and those who failed would not get benefits for a year.

Democrats argued the bill unfairly targeted low-income people, cost too much to implement, and violated constitutional protections against illegal searches.

Thursday's vote indicated some Republicans also opposed the bill.

(COPYRIGHT 2012 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)

• by Junior on Apr 1, 2012 at 05:27 AM
    I am in favor of a measure that includes testing of welfare recipients, all local, state, and federal employees, whether elected or not...
  • by Hippyboy on Mar 31, 2012 at 02:39 PM
    Well it sounds like I have my retirement plan. I have paid into social security since 1963 and it won't be there when I need it. It will have been spent on the worthless freeloaders. So if you can't beat them - join them. I am going to retire with welfare. It appears to be a lot simpler and pays better than SS and most jobs.
  • by Lora Location: Gj on Mar 31, 2012 at 02:43 AM
    The concept is flawed and failed miserably in Florida. At least our legislators didn't repeat the failure just to make a few right wing radicals feel good every time they drive past the work force center. Hold your head high....you made poor people pay in a cup. Do some research before you spew all this nonsense about welfare recipients doing drugs. I bet our commissioners are crying over this one. They spend more time and money thinking of ways to take from people than they do trying to make this a healthy community, As ugly as this group of commissioners is, I am dreading what their right wing radical replacements will spawn.
      by Hippyboy on Mar 31, 2012 at 02:40 PM in reply to Lora
      Without the radical right wing who would pay for you worthless left wingers? You are biting the hand that feeds and clothes you. Oh and pays for your drugs!
      by Annieonymouse on Mar 31, 2012 at 07:11 PM in reply to Lora
      Why don't you tell us about the "radical replacements", then tell us about all the things the current commissioners did that effected you personally. What have they taken from people that have tried to make this a healthier community? Then I want to know why people that work have to "pay in a cup" for the priviledge of earning taxable income for the non-workers, of whom a certain percentage are lazy drug addicts. I'm tired of the professional takers, very very tired of them.
  • by Junction Location: GJ on Mar 30, 2012 at 01:11 PM
    It all sounds nice on the surface....what about the #1 homewrecker and destroyer of families...alcohol?? Let's start with our politicians, ....La**cough**ra**cough**Brad**cough**ford.
  • by RJ on Mar 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Who's sorry now? Who's sorry now? You had your way, now you must pay. I know that you're sorry now. (Delete sorry, insert whining.)
  • by HP Location: GJ on Mar 30, 2012 at 07:37 AM
    As a member of the 53%, those of us who work and pay taxes to support those that whine and complain that they are not getting their fair share of the American Pie, I am disgusted by this. As a working taxpayer, I was subjected to a pre-employment drug screening. Once employed, I am now subject to random testing as a term of my employment. My job pays for my home, my children, my car, food, utilities, clothing and other incidentals. I do not receive any assistance to feed, clothe or house myself or my children. I do, however, support those on welfare and all forms of government assistance. This is MY money. I should be able to say how and when it is spent. I feel that ALL people on welfare should be subject to testing. In addition, I feel that ALL able bodied people on assistance should be required to perform community service as services rendered for payment. I managed to put myself through night school, while working full time, plus a part time job AND three children under the age of 7. With no support or assistance. I have zero tolerance for whiners and abusers.
      by I like you on Mar 30, 2012 at 08:05 AM in reply to HP
      I wish more people like you would show your face in society. We focus too much on the needy and not the providers.
        by HP on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM in reply to I like you
        Search I am the 53%. There are many of us.
      by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2012 at 03:53 PM in reply to HP
      Sounds like whining about whining. If you don't like thinking that your taxes are spent on welfare then think it's spent on wars, I'll do the opposite and everybody's happy.
      by Hippyboy on Mar 31, 2012 at 02:34 PM in reply to HP
      BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! It looks like us working taxpayers will continue to support the lazy, self absorbed, weak minded freeloaders since our politicians think a free ride without conditions is A-OK!
  • by D on Mar 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM
    In states where this measure was implemented it ended up costing taxpayers more money. Less money is saved from not paying to whoever failed the test than cost of the tests for those who passed. Regardless... There are poor people who's lazy and have addiction problems and those are the ones you see every day by the stop signs, but majority are hard working folk trying to make ends meet. Many war veterans... Going to church is not doing you people any good.
      by Disgusted on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:04 PM in reply to D
      Looks like you stumbled backwards into the correct answer. It should be the church that is handling charity, not the ferral gubbermint. Government is a complete waste, a necessary evil at best, and for each dollar put in only a few cents trickle out to the needy.
        by D on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:37 PM in reply to Disgusted
        Looks like your stumbling over yourself. First it's lazy poor people who enjoy the free ride at the expense of working folk, now (with the Christian sentiments awoken) it's all government. I agree that "It should be the church that is handling charity" [Credit to: Ron Paul and Disgusted] but "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." [Credit to: Benjamin Franklin] so it's up to government to pick up the slack.
          by Disgusted on Mar 30, 2012 at 02:58 AM in reply to D
          It most certainly is not "up to the government to pick up the slack." No where in The Constitution or the Bill of Rights does it say that the government should pick up the slack. This is a myth that has been advanced by progressives in order to usurp control and destroy the country!
          by D on Mar 30, 2012 at 03:40 PM in reply to D
          Nowhere in The Constitution or the Bill of Rights it says that they should maintain roads or pay social security. If there is no feasible business model for the basic service that citizens need then it's up to government to provide it. Travel somewhere where this basic idea doesn't work and see how nice they have it... especially disadvantaged population.
      by Disgusted on Mar 30, 2012 at 03:55 PM in reply to D
      Reply to D: You are correct that roads and Socialist Insecurity isn't in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. Socialist Insecurity is a joke, a big ponzi scheme that the politicians have robbed until the "lock box" is empty. As for roads, are you telling me that first the government invented roads, then the car was invented? Somehow people managed to do it without the intervention of the statists. If we cut the road tax, gasoline might be below $3 again!
        by D on Mar 30, 2012 at 04:12 PM in reply to Disgusted
        I can only say that you'll stay Disgusted to the last day of your life. The world has changed. There may be changes, but governments and taxes are here to stay. Meanwhile to be pure to your ideas stay off the public roads, parks and most important of all the Internet (which has government's hand in it since the creation).
  • by Lots of whiners on Mar 29, 2012 at 01:32 PM
    So what are any of you going to do about it? Save yourself some trouble, bend over, lube yourself up, and keep working so they can take your earnings to pay for their drugs.
      by Working for a living on Mar 29, 2012 at 08:02 PM in reply to Lots of whiners
      Amen! Couldn't of said it any better my self!!!
      by VOTE on Mar 30, 2012 at 08:06 AM in reply to Lots of whiners
      I'm going to vote for the person who shares my sentiment on this!! I encourage everyone here to do the same.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 01:17 PM
    In order to get my pay check I am subject to pre employment and random tasting. They need to be held to the same standard. This Is TOTAL Bull S#$@
      by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2012 at 01:38 PM in reply to
      Where do you work? My employeer just sends the urine samples off to be tested for drugs, I've never seen anyone randomly taste them.
        by Junior on Apr 1, 2012 at 05:17 AM in reply to
        Nice!
  • by Frank on Mar 29, 2012 at 01:11 PM
    You think Democrats are gonna pass a bill that would affect them or welfare recipients who happen to make up the majority of their votes. ? Get used to it hard working Americans don't you know it's our job to take care of them. Just remember to keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!
  • Page:

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144952085 - nbc11news.com/a?a=144952085