Colo. GOP, Dems to battle over school breakfasts

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

DENVER (AP) - Colorado Republicans and Democrats are gearing up for a battle after lawmakers facing a gaping budget shortfall decided to end free breakfasts for needy children.

The Joint Budget Committee last week decided against spending an additional $124,229 to subsidize the Start Smart nutrition program at the end of this school year.

The decision isn't final.

Both caucuses called news conferences on Monday to discuss their plans.

Under the budget committee's vote, breakfast will still be served. However, low-income students will be charged 30 cents a meal after March, when current funding runs out.
(COPYRIGHT 2011 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)

• by Ron Location: gh on Feb 10, 2011 at 03:34 PM
    I know that this country is "conservative" as hell, but do any of you remember a story of a Man who fed 5000 people fish. Now, he didn't have to do that either. Could have said, go home, come back with your own damn food. But he didn't. He fed these strangers and I imagine that there may have been a few children in the crowd. It was the "right" thing to do.
  • by Ron Location: GJ on Feb 10, 2011 at 03:31 PM
    It has been proven from ages ago to today, that children that get a decent breakfast are better able to concentrate, learn and stay healthy. When you consider what some of our State Government department spend money, feeding hungry children an inexpensive but nutrtitional meal is money these guys waste "daily" not over the course of a school year. If we are to stay up and ahead of the rest of the world, feed the children. It will pay hugh our state back big time in the future.
  • by sad Location: in GJ on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    Who are you to say those parents are not working hard as well? I see my friend work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. You know it's gotten bad when our society could care less about CHILDREN. "Ritter unveils $19.1 billion budget for Colorado in 2011" - Recent headline from the Denver Post. Yep, $125,000 will make a HUGE dent in that 19 BILLION dollar budget. Sorry kids you just have to starve while the politicians get the pet projects paid for! If I had a few hunderd grand laying around I would definitely be willing to sponsor this project. Good to know my "neighbors" would rather have their toys instead. I do believe there needs to be greater oversite for these types of programs, I just don't see how taking them away completely benefits anyone.
  • by Lynn Location: GJ on Jan 26, 2011 at 09:10 AM
    I am sick and tired of paying for "stuff" for everyone else. You don't see me with my hand out. I work for a living. Enough already.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:18 AM
    If you want to "help the kids in some small way" dig into your own pocket, not mine. Charity begins at home or so they say.
  • by anon Location: gj on Jan 25, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    I know there are always going to be people who take advantage of these programs or try to fraud the system. Then there are some who are hard working single parents who just barely make it with out help from these programs. Many single parents make too much for any assistance programs, but barely get by with basic things like rent, utilities and food. So this is a huge help to make sure these kids get fed. I guess I just can't see not helping these kids in some small way.
  • by Grumpy Location: Mesa County on Jan 25, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    Will somebody point out where in the Constitution that I have to pay for educating, much less feeding, criminals that are in this country illegally? Wanna save some TAXPAYER MONEY? ZERO spending for any type for any illegal(CRIMINAL) aliens except for life threatening medical emergency, with immediate deportation following treatment. No housing, clothing, food, transportation, welfare of any type for any illegals.
  • by TLC Location: Mesa County on Jan 25, 2011 at 09:03 AM
    Lets see if 11 news readers are any smarter than the other web site. Please explain to me where in the Constitution does it say I am responsible to raise feed and clothe YOUR kids. I already pay heavy taxes for a failed government school system to indoctrinate your kids in the ways of socialism. If you bleeding heart libs or RHINO's feel so strong about it then giver you nanny school more money. OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET.
  • by Statism on Jan 24, 2011 at 04:53 PM
    Why does no one question the fact taxpayers are now footing the bill for nearly every aspect of other people's children. Free cell phones, housing vouchers, WIC...now this? Do parents pay anything anymore?
  • by Anonymous Location: G Jct on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    I feel .30 a day is a great price that is only $1.55 a week. What parent would not be able to afford it??? We see all these low income parents smoking, cell phones for the whole family, renting movies, going to parties, etc. etc. They should just put their priorities first..either feed your kids before they go to school or .30 which is less than a candy bar or pop..And this is still almost a free price..people have to start learning that nothing should be free in this world..It is ashame that our teachers with all the college loans they have to pay for are probably earning less wages than an undocumented worker yet the teachers had alot of cuts in their benefits etc. Lets put cuts where they need to be.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114485134 - nbc11news.com/a?a=114485134