Pueblo Explosion Caused By Natural Gas Buildup

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Pueblo, Colo. (AP) Investigators have determined that a natural gas leak from a pipeline under the street led to a deadly explosion that leveled a restaurant and a neighboring store.

Pueblo Fire Department Spokesman Woody Percival says the gas “took the path of least resistance” and passed through the soil, building up in the Branch Inn's basement.

Restaurant staff smelled an odor but assumed it was sewer gas. Percival said Thursday the chemical additive that gives natural gas a rotten egg smell was likely filtered or altered, making the odor unrecognizable when it got to the basement and ignited.

Twenty-two-year-old Ashley r. Johnson was killed and seven people were injured in the Nov. 13 blast. A classic boutique was also destroyed.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 34877404