Aspen, Colo. (AP) A Pitkin County Sheriff’s investigator says a plastic pipe that should have been connected to a gas-fired water boiler was the reason for a carbon-monoxide leak that killed a family of four in Aspen.
Investigator Brad Gibson says the leak was in a utility room but it spread to through the home on Nov. 28. The family had won a weekend vacation at the Aspen home through a fundraiser.
Killed were Parker Lofgren, 39, Caroline Lofgren, 42, and their children, 10-year-old Owen and 8-year-old Sophie.
Officials are not saying whether the home had a carbon-monoxide detector and Gibson says investigators are trying to determine how the pipe came undone.
State lawmakers this session will consider whether all homes should be required to have carbon-monoxide detectors.
Post Your Comments
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.