Morrison, Colo. (AP) - A Colorado woman bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking is ok after she turned around and walked more than a mile for help.
Susan Schwartz was bitten just below the knee while she was hiking a popular trail in Mount Falcon Park in Jefferson County Wednesday morning. After the bite, Schwartz hiked more than an hour to get help. A ranger called 911.
Indian Hills Fire Chief Don Schoenbein says Schwartz tied a constricting band to her leg to slow the venom's spread. The hiker was hospitalized but released Thursday afternoon.
Park Rangers say snakebite victims should usually call 911 and try to avoid moving too much, because activity can spread venom. It wasn't clear if Schwartz had a phone.
(COPYRIGHT 2009 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)